Warning:

WARNING: This Blog contains facts, pictures, food and kitchen experiences that might make you very hungry.
Snacking while reading is encouraged.

Monday, November 29, 2010

Le Stage

The Restaurant

Exactly 52 days ago I began my stage here in Acuto. I just completed my last day of work and I am filled with mixed emotions. If I had to describe my experiences here in one word I would have to say it has been very interesting.
Like every other person who goes to work regularly I had my good days and even a few really great days and I most definitely had my bad days. But hey- C’est la Vie!

Bad days would consist of things like: Pure boredom- I simply hate being bored-, Chef loosing his mind on someone or several people- he made people cry on a couple occasions. Unorganization in the kitchen, the guys I worked with being moody (why are males that work in kitchens always so bloody moody?), Chef’s wife loosing her mind on someone or something, peeling copious amounts of chestnuts until my thumbs were nearly bleeding, and did I mention boredom?- I would rather peel chestnuts than be bored.


Things that would happen on good days: Lots to get done, negative energy kept to a minimum, wine served with dinner, organization in the kitchen, Julia getting to make something new, Lots to do=Lots to learn, eating something delicious a meal or otherwise, Julia being inspired by an ingredient or dish, Chef creating a masterpiece, Chef letting you take a big bite of that masterpiece, Chef telling me he is impressed with my mad skills, and getting sent home early wasn’t so bad either.

Our work days ranged from about 8 hours (very rarely- maybe happened twice) to about 14 or 15 hours, I would say the average day was 12 hours. There were also a few weeks that I would work Mondays (our day off) so I those 14 days straight got kind of intense.
gigantic white truffle!

 The language barrier proved to be both challenging and beneficial. Sometimes I was thankful for it- when people are yelling and getting mad with each other, I don’t care to hear exactly what they are saying. Also, if someone was pissing me off in the kitchen it was very easy to tune them out. In terms of general instruction in the kitchen it wasn’t bad at all- I did my best to speak in very broken Italian and Chef and the cooks were very patient with me. Lots of charades made things easy- and mildly entertaining. There were times when I wished I knew the language but most of all I could have got to know chef and the people I worked with more. I was also very intrigued by the conversations chef had with people outside the restaurant, at events and such as his fans, guests and media personalities would ask him questions. Having said all that, if chef talked slow enough I could figure out what he was saying- I could get the gist of it anyways. It is has been remarkable how I have been able to get to know chef just by watching him work and create his dishes the way he does. It’s as if each dish demonstrates a different part of his personality.

While leaving the restaurant tonight I gave chef some Maple Sugar from Canada (I also gave him some Inniskilin ice wine when I arrived) and also a little thank you letter that a friend translated into Italian. He was very touched by the note, he said he was going to put it on the wall. Needless to say, saying goodbye was a little tougher than I thought it would be.

I learned, I listened, I experienced, I laughed, I cried, I completed what I set out to do and I ate and I drank.

One last weekend in Rome then I head to Prague- let’s see what the Czech’s cuisine has to offer!
Then to London- Hello Indian food!
And finally home- I look forward to enjoying a Poutine and a Great Canadian Beer- Moosehead!- or maybe Kokanee, I can’t decide.

So Long Acuto!- Where the hills are dotted with olive trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment