Warning:

WARNING: This Blog contains facts, pictures, food and kitchen experiences that might make you very hungry.
Snacking while reading is encouraged.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Caprese Salad

Caprese in Perugia. Best.
I LOVE Caprese Salad for 5 reasons:
Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, Sliced Tomatoes, Fresh Basil, Olive Oil, Salt.
All of the above were made to be paired with each other. And yes, I do believe that each of those ingredients deserves to be capitalized, that’s just how good they are.

Fresh Mozzarella in Italy, I have learned, is much better than any of the junk you can buy at the grocery store in Canada- unless you are shopping at a very pricey place and the imports are legit. It’s better simply because it’s slightly seasoned and it’s not watered down. I look for any excuse to eat a ball of this cheese, a caprese being my first choice of course but several foods work very well as a vessel in which to eat it. Like this one...

A Quick Lunch..
Hot garlic-ized carrots with salumi, foccacia and Fresh Mozzarella.
 The flavours of a caprese are perfectly complimentary- the sweetness and acid of the tomatoes perfectly compliment and pair with the mild richness of the mozzarella. The basil provides the perfect addition of liquoricey and green-leaf flavour. While the olive oil brings out the earthiness and tang needed to satisfy every corner of your palate. Of course a couple pinches of salt brings the Caprese family together.

I finally had my beloved Caprese while visiting Perugia, at the cutest little family run restaurant. We were greeted by a little lady in an apron as she rushed around to bring us menus and the other tables their food. A few moments later her husband appeared to take care of the front of house while she remained in the kitchen- yet still running the food to tables and chatting with the customers.

Roberto post lunch..
Found this gem on a side street in downtown Perugia

Thinking:
"F*ck off with the Camera! I'm trying to eat this cheese!"
 This Caprese was slightly different; there was no basil on it! I couldn’t help but be disappointed until I took my first bite. The tomatoes had a light sprinkle of dried oregano which complimented the tomatoes and cheese alike. The mozzarella in this caprese in particular was the star. It was a gigantic piece of cheese, but I must say I loved the ratio…I was able to enjoy a big bite of cheese with each tomato.

Didn't stand a chance...

No comments:

Post a Comment